Here are a number of free tools that I have found to be very useful.
- Mozy Easy automatic online backups with 2GB of free storage (a little more space for both you and me if you sign up using referral code K292GA).
- Directory Compare This handy utility will compare and/or synchronize folders including network shares and can be used for simple backups. Visit the author's home page for more handy tools: http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html
- CDBurnerXP Burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs for free.
- GIMP GIMP is a versatile graphics manipulation package.
- Hugin Panorama photo stitcher. You'll also want the autopano-sift-c.exe file which is no longer included with the Hugin installer due to patent concerns.
- Jpegcrop Fast, lossless image cropping (scroll down to find the program on the page)
- jhead Exif Jpeg header manipulation tool (can use -autorot flag in conjunction with jpegtran to automatically rotate images based on orientation data stored by cameras that support including many Canon Powershots).
- jpegtran Lossless jpeg manipulation including rotation (direct link for .exe version is here).
- ImageMagick I mainly use this for batch picture resizing (mogrify -resize *.JPG 1600x1600)
- gPhotoShow Photo screen saver with support for multiple monitors
- Slideshow Slideshow application with support for multiple monitors (not a screen saver, but useful for cycling through images on an extra display for example)
- Nameexif A tool to automatically rename photos with the date they were shot (Useful for putting pics from multiple cameras in chronological order).
Networking / Connectivity
- Firefox Web browser (favorite add-ons include Copy Plain Text, Auto Copy, ShowIP and SwitchProxy Tool)
- Skype Encrypted text & video chat that just works (even through firewalls)
- PuTTY Free telnet/ssh/serial client which supports tunneling and much more.
- FileZilla FTP client which also supports SFTP
- UltraVNC Remote control software
- IPerf Command line bandwidth test tool (a graphical front end is also available called JPerf although I haven't used it much).
- Veeam Veeam Backup Free Edition for VMware and Hyper-V
- Veeam Endpoint Backup Free
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Altaro Hyper-V Backup (free for 2 VMs)
- BackupPC Open Source Backup to disk
- FreeNAS Project Open Source Storage
- StarWind Virtual SAN (free for 2 nodes)
- KeePass Password Safe Secure, encrypted password storage with cross platform support including blackberry and other mobile devices.
- TrueCrypt Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux (I use it mostly for a virtual encrypted disk within a file which is mounted as a real disk).
- MPEG Streamclip Simple video editor that can read multiple formats and export them to QuickTime, DV, AVI/DivX and MPEG-4.
- VLC media player The cross-platform open-source multimedia framework, player and server
- VirtualDub Video capture/processing utility mainly geared towards AVI
- 1-4a-rename A file renamer which renames many files at once (handy for combining pictures from multiple sources and prepending numbers to keep them in order).